NEW PARK DEVELOPMENT
We have some exciting news! The St. Charles Parks and Recreation Department and Orchard Farm School District are in the process of coordinating efforts to design a new park in conjunction with the School District’s new High School Campus. In 2018, Orchard Farm School District purchased 96.9 acres of land located off Highway 94 and Highway B and in 2019 the City of St. Charles by and through its Parks and Recreation Board, purchased the adjacent 97 acres of property. It was this past September that the master planning services was contracted out to SWT Design, Inc. The combined properties will include amenities that can be utilized by both parks and schools. This unique opportunity to collaborate will create a space for the school district and community to enjoy.
The Park Master Plan Development for the new green space along Highway 94 and Highway B is underway. We are pleased and excited by the response we have received from the community at our past Open House meetings.
Draft Master Plan Open House
Thursday, May 20, 2021from 5:00P – 7:00P at Memorial Hall in Blanchette Park
At the March 11 open house and through the online survey, the four design concepts above were presented for feedback. Each concept featured 7 different core program areas and amenities created for initial community input described below. The Draft Master Plan combines all the feed back to present one concept for a final review and comments. We hope you can join us to see the design of the newest St. Charles City Park.
- The Hub – An active program area with activities such as pickleball, concessions and food trucks, social spaces, water recreation access, and game areas such as mini golf, batting cages, yard games, etc…
- Field House – A recreation focused amenity with indoor and outdoor space to support department programming and provide opportunities for partnerships.
- Family Area – A combination of active and passive spaces, this area is the traditional day use park zone. Amenities include playground, shelters, trailheads, open play lawn, etc.
- Bike Park – A unique amenity for the parks system, this area can provide bicycle activities for a variety of skill levels as well as host special events. R/C car or other compatible activities may be considered for this amenity area as well.
- Green Space – This program area is found in consolidated areas to provide open activity space or programmed sports and events. It is also spread throughout the park to include activities such as park trail systems and disc golf course.
- Lake Amenities – The lake amenity in this park will provide a recreation opportunity and a stormwater
management facility. Looking at ways to maximize these roles will be important for the overall park experience. The images explore active and passive lake based recreation.
- Native Landscape / Stormwater – A critical component to this park is a combination of landscapes,
stormwater management, education opportunities and art to be incorporated throughout the park creating and enhancing the functional and recreational park experience.
CLICK HERE to view the information boards from the December 17, 2020 meeting.
CLICK HERE to review the information from the March 11, 2021 meeting.